Monday, February 7, 2011

Jeesh

Wow.  A big project is on the verge of being 100% complete and forever off of my conscious and to-do list.

The memorial book that we had talked, rather flippantly, amongst family about making suddenly became a huge reality, with a very huge deadline.  I'm glad to say it is in that strange state between done-ness and actual tangibility.  I look forward to, probably after tonight, not having to pore over photographs of my husband's family again for a loooong time.  (Although they are definitely a good looking lot... lots of Middle Eastern features popping up here and there that make me wonder if they didn't have a relative on the boat with the Christians coming in from Syria in 400AD.  Plus so many six-foot-plus guys?  In SOUTHERN INDIA?!? But that's a whole different History Channel conspiratorial miniseries to pitch later...)

We've told my mother-in-law (Mummy) how I don't even know what all I'll do with my time now that this is finished.  But I do.  Here's the agenda for the rest of February.

1.  Begin losing 20 pounds.   (a buddy and I have joined the YMCA's Move2Lose program.  Dragging two kids each to the YMCA by 9:30am twice a week will be a workout in itself.  An exercise in patience you might say.  HA!  And each of us have a stranger-hater.  So let's just consider it a bonus that our workouts will be interrupted every 30 minutes as the kid-minding daycare workers come to fetch us to calm down our respective screaming girl kids.  (Note:  "my" beast is not actually mine, but is the daaahling E-mac.)

2.  Begin cleaning up the craft room.  I have a lovely sewing machine that is still in the box.  As I did a little photo shoot for the cover of this grandmother memory book (artsy shots of a rosary on a sari - of course, what else for your dearly departed Kerala Catholic grandma?) it came to my attention that these lovely cotton saris would make great, beautiful, and slightly exotic swaddling cloths.  And hip mommas are into that sort of thing.  So I shall mount that sewing machine's learning curve and make it my bitch, and hopefully our progeny will be delightfully stitched projects, beginning simply with those swaddling cloths.

3.  Organize the closets.  I keep looking around at our extra space and wondering, "what if we suddenly DID have family or friends move in with us?" (My parents have suddenly bought a place in Florida, and we have no idea what their plans are going forward.  Are they forsaking Ohio completely?  Planning to chuck in with us a month or two a year?  No idea, and I'm thinking they don't know actually either.  Secretly we're wondering if they wouldn't want to have their grandfather clock come and live with us!)  The acres of random, unfilled space in our home need to be made useful and geared for actual utilization, rather than just space to stack things.  Lord, I may even paint the guest room like I had imagined months back. Stop the presses. 

Right now, my plan is to simply vacuum.  Hope the kid is willing to help.  We'll make a game of it.  Game is called, "Help me vacuum or BEATINGS!"

(please note:  I don't actually beat my kid.) 

Cheers!





3 comments:

Jen said...

Ooh, I think baby Sasha will need an exotic swaddling cloth so you should get busy. :)

Lina said...

Well of COURSE!! :-)

Rachel May said...

Niiiiice!! Plus if you start beating then I will be forced to come back to Dayton and save my daughter-n-law. Now get to sewing for Miss Sasha! :D