Friday, September 16, 2011

We're all a little busy

Hey kids, long time!  I've been busy.  Busy pretending I wasn't pregnant, first of all - did it work?

Baby's been "around" since April, coincidentally discovered via positive pregnancy test on our penultimate day of babysitting the E-mac.  (bye E-mac!  We miss you!  I still occasionally panic thinking I've forgotten there's another child in the house!)  April was then spent training (Move2Lose), discovering my pregnancy-induced gluten intolerance, sleeping, and freezing. (either the initial stages of pregnancy or the gluten intolerance made me completely unable to regular my body temperature.  I became, essentially, a cold-blooded animal.  I now understand why lizards and snakes are so pissy.)

The whole pregnant thing was a bit of a surprise, really.

Why pretend not to be pregnant?    Well it's not any huge secret that I think baby making is none of your damn business.  My least favorite question to be asked is probably, "Are you guys trying?"  Are we WHAT? WHAT?!?  You mean, are we having unprotected sex?  Really?  Want to come watch sometime, since you're so curious?  Shall I give you a play by play?  Shall I start texting you pictures of my bowel movements too? 

Let it hereby be known that as far as you're concerned, we don't do that... and you're a dirty dirty thing for even implying it.   Our babies are miraculous little things deposited by a stork into my belly button or originating from spider bites that swell up all crazy-like.

We flew through the first trimester on stealth mode, telling just a few people because an unplanned baby is different from a planned baby, much like a second baby is different from a first.  We wondered if something might happen early on.  (hey, I'm getting older... it happens)  We were still getting over the surprise.  We were, honestly, a little nonplussed.  Is that horrible to say?  Naw.  We certainly love this baby, but it is just different the second time around because it's all been done before.

Plus... and here's where I'd like to remind you that I'm an opinionated, judgmental beyotch:  I am not a fan of folks over-publicizing a pregnancy, especially early on.  Give baby a little privacy, please.  Positive pregnancy test picture on Facebook?  No.  Big public to-do of announcing at six weeks?  No.  My philosophy has always been that I'm not the first person to ever be pregnant, nor will I be the last.  There are plenty of people who don't care.  There are also plenty of people who care so very much, because of a past loss or losses, and just don't want to hear your premature celebration.  And there are so many stories of late breaking bad news [the cousin whose newborn lived two days... the miscarriage at five months... the unexpected fetal silence prior to delivery] that I just feel like the longer you wait, the safer things may be.  It's part superstition, part past observation, part self-soothing justification.  And also, though I absolutely LOOOOVE being pregnant (and being a mother), it's not what I want to be my number one defining feature.

So... we kept quiet.  Until Elena in her Big Sister shirt showed up tagged on Saby's Facebook.  And our genius (actual genius - no sarcasm there) friend commented, "Big sister to who?"  So it's out, and then we do all the catch-up work of calling close friends in far away places to apologize for not telling them personally.  And my boobs are telling their own story by just getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger...

So anyway, the whole point is, I've been a little busy.  But the hope is to start updating this thing more often.  I've spent the morning reading through old posts, back when the E-unit was still just Spampy, and I realize I am actually pretty funny and moderately interesting.  Or there's always the old fashioned "it's for posterity" thing...

So if you're new to Spampylandia, realize this is a blog dedicated to whatever I please:  part pregnancy, part motherhood, part "things I can't bring myself to say on Facebook" (that's also the purpose of my much neglected Twitter account), and a whole lotta random crap that really defies the point of putting buttons or tags to any of this garbage.  Occasionally there will be links to my India blog, Caroline in Kerala!  That's fun... go read that one too.  If you have time.  Cuz I know we're all busy with one thing or another.

No comments: