Again, pardon the last post if you're not into that kind of thing. I realize in pregnancy, as with anything, drama is what you make of it. Perhaps that's something everybody would go through, pregnant or not, and they just have enough restraint to not mention it in public. I don't want to give the impression that I am above any sort of pain or suffering or misery or anything... or even that everything is constantly just a big bowl of cherries.
But, primarily, it IS a big bowl of cherries. I really think it's just how you look at it. Yeah, there's heartburn, big bloated bellies, and yesterday I had to pee like 8 times in the span of 75 minutes, but that is nothing compared to the thought that me and Saby are having a baby. Any discomfort along the way are temporary, preparatory for the "discomforts" and changes of early parenthood, and in regards to both I'm keeping a very positive outlook. It's for Baby! What can be a better reason than that? I've probably felt worse in the past from eating gigantic greasy dinners. It's not just about me anymore, and it's not all about me either.
As my sister always says in regards to any pregnancy, you are not the first, nor will you be the last person to be pregnant. There have been millions before you and there will be millions after. It's not a sickness. Unless it's an unplanned pregnancy (and my heart goes out to those babies) it's probably something you've wanted, tried for, prayed for, possibly even cried for. Now you have it... and others do not. So buck up and deal.
Interesting passage I read in a book...
"If a pregnant woman wants and needs to be pampered, "waited upon" and coddled, and buys into the concept that pregnancy is an abnormal condition and that she is "ill," the attention that she gains during a troublesome pregnancy and a difficult birthing can definitely make it all worthwhile in her mind. She barely tolerates her pregnancy and constantly proclaims her annoyance at all the aches, pains and other pregnancy "disorders" while she uses body language that demonstrates her plight. Family members often contribute to this scenario by cautioning the woman that she must "give in" to her frality during this precarious time of her life.
...Nevertheless, it is important to assess your own motivation and intent as you approach your birthing and consider, in light of all we've spoken of here, how you will apply these Laws of the Mind so that they work for you.
Motivation is closely tied to your intent and your self image. It is said that a woman births pretty much the same way that she lives life. For that reason, it is imperative that you take the time to do an assessment of how you see yourself and whether this image is productive for you or counterproductive. Much of the determining aspects of how you will make important choices concerning your birthing are factored on how you regard birth and your own role in this experience."
With that said, let me fully recognize that I am a bit of an attention whore. But first and foremost, I want positive attention. I want to overachieve. I want to prove a point, and prove people wrong. And as a result, I want to have the best damn pregnancy anybody we know has ever heard of, to give hope to everybody who has only heard the miserable side of things. I want to pass on to my possibly-daughter an attitude towards birth that is positive; as my mother and sister did, perhaps by mostly passing along nothing until recently. Their pregnancies? Mom had 2, both with a little heartburn and few other noteworthy issues, despite her last (me) being high risk due to her age. (she did go on to have a 36 hour labor and a caesarian, but hey...)
My sister? She mentions nothing terrible, and one of my fondest memories from her first pregnancy (Jessica) was walking at East Harbor State Park with her and her digging a belly-sized hole in the sand so that we could lay together on the beach. During the subsequent pregnancies she was in the midst of moving her family from Michigan to Ohio and then back. And Molly's homecoming was to a furnished apartment that the Kerr's called home while their house was being rebuilt after a 3rd floor pipe burst and flooded the entire house while they were on vacation. I asked her husband about it over Christmas... he said "it's always going to be challenging. But it's only as bad as you make it." And he gave a look that said "you can do it."
I guess my first note of thanks to our baby is for all the inspiration for personal reflection.
No comments:
Post a Comment