Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Big Bummer

Ahh, lousy news. My grandma down in Florida fell last night, and has broken her pelvis. Arrggh!

Very little news at this point, but she seems fine, although very uncomfortable. I don't know if it's constant or just a result of movement, but when my Uncle Bill carried her into the house, she passed out from the pain. Poor Helen!

I was online trying to find out some information about pelvis injuries, when I happened upon the blog of a lady who rides horses. Her horse threw her, apparently, and she ended up with a fractured pelvis. She's managed to get around decently in a wheelchair during her recovery, and I found this entry to be very entertaining, about going to the mall...

"When we approached the elevators to get back to the parking garage there was a line. Not a line of wheelchairs or even strollers. There was a line of fat people. Now, I’m not a svelte person but these were people in danger of having their abdomens filmed for a news report on obesity in America. They were sort of milling around until I pulled up in the wheelchair. Then they formed a line and studiously did not look at the person in the wheelchair. When the elevator came and they piled on and there was no room for the person in the wheelchair, they all looked away. The doors closed and the husband yelled, “You all should take the stairs!” For some reason the elevator came back to our level and opened with the same people on it. I looked pitiful and the husband said that if they had taken the stairs they’d have been there by now.

I think that we should take turns from now on going to the mall with the wheelchair. Shaming lazy people is a blast."

- http://www.spiritblog.net/?p=502

My grandma was just telling us how she wanted to get rid of the Rascal scooter that was taking up space after the passing of my grandfather... hopefully, if she still has it, she could get some use out of it while she heals. Poor sweet Grandma. She's going to turn 90 in October and she was planning to come to Port Clinton for a huge celebration in her honor, with a rented condo for she and Aunt Kathy to stay in, and lots of food and a family marathon of Jon and Kate Plus Eight (we're all fans now!). With a little luck and some helpful healing prayers maybe she could still make the trip. I want to go down and help, or at least be around to cheer her up, but she'll be recovering in the wilderness of northern Florida where first-time pregnant ladies are not advised to go in their final trimester (advised, by husbands and midwives, at least). *Sigh*

No comments: