Monday, April 14, 2008

Jumpy, Swimmy, Kicky

Our baby has opened a clay-shooting range inside my womb. It has friends over between about 9 and 11:30 p.m., almost every night, and they jump, chase each other, and then I think they even do that thing teenagers do when you try to rock the car at stoplights... but instead they're rocking my uterus!

You can see it on the outside. It jolts. The whole thing will pop up, and then suddenly shift abruptly to the left. If it were a seismic plate you could measure it on the Richter scale, but sadly I am not a geological phenomenon and can only judge it by my own personal "holy CRAP!" meter. Last night was a new all-time high.

I think some are hiccups, because lots of the movement is relatively rhythmic. I like those a lot, because they are the closest to predictable. Otherwise, except for the higher likelihood of having all this jumping and bumping happen after dinner or before going to bed, I really have absolutely no control over what this child inside me does. And that is scary... interesting... even prophetic. It's not me. It's it's own person, even now.

1 comment:

lizzybeth said...

Strong willed children are fun. I know. I see 56 of them every day.