Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Waiting Game

Once the excitement of seeing a positive pregnancy test (or in our case, three) wears off, you have the joy of breaking news... or, if you so choose, the smug secretive goodness of waiting to share your good news with others. Both are great. You spend a week or two reading up... feeding your excitement by buying books about names and birthing methods, looking up insurance, standing in front of a mirror trying to determine whether your tummy is actually poking out a bit or whether you ate too much chicken in a frenzied protein feast...

and then the wait begins.

You know you're pregnant. Your friends know. Your family knows. But, apparently no part of your body other than your hormones have received that memo. Oh wait... except your BOOBS. Your newly gigantic, voluptuous, slightly tingly and tender boobs. But then again, they only found out because they heard the hormones talking about it in the bathroom. It's like a rumor. But they're moving forward as if it were an official notification from the office of the CEO. I'm hungry, indeed. But I'll put a 10 spot on that being psychological... as if any hunger pang that is not immediately sated with crackers, granola bars, fruit, or in moments of weakness, KFC Big Box Combos will result in a Niagara-like explosion of projectile vomiting that will put all past cases of Hyperemesis Gravidarium (super bad morning sickness) to shame. They say eat 6 small meals a day. I am as a result constantly eating, showing how much sway "they" truly have on my life.

So any morning sickness? No! Too busy eating to have time to vomit... be nauseous... or now, to even have heartburn (which was my one symptom that made me take a EPT). I guess it's a blessing, but I may end up running Dayton into a food shortage.

So having gotten done with all the exciting things that go along with finding out you're going to have a baby in the next 10 months or so, I've fallen into a surreal symptom-less lull where all I can do to pass the time is watch my boobs continue to grow...

and of course EAT.

Luckily, I've got three jobs with which to pass the time between snacks. More on that later.

Oh, and I go to the midwife next Tuesday for my first, official, prenatal exam. Yaaaaaaaaaaay, midwives!

No comments: