Friday, February 8, 2008

The Baby of your Dreams!

I think I had my first real "baby" or "motherhood" dream last night. Supposedly these start coming with greater frequency as you get further along in your pregnancy. In "The Red Tent" all the aunties had dreams about their niece too... so if anybody out there has dreams about our baby, please let us know. Interesting note: my Aunt Kathy has dreamed that we are having a boy, even before we told her about being pregnant.

**note: we do not know what we're having, nor are we going to find out until sometime in July when baby arrives!

The dream seemed to be happening in some sort of hillside resort or center, or possibly even a really nice hospital, that was quite big and faced down towards a river and then, across the river, another hill. Details are blurry as they usually are in dreams, so somehow it just seemed that I had had our baby, it was a girl, and she was not terribly cute, but was a solid, healthy, good baby. She had a really big face (fat cheeks) and had dark dark hair that stuck up willy-nilly all over her head, even though it wasn't very long. Not like a buzz cut, but that crazy baby hair, like this but black:



She was a good baby and seemed a little small, because I could comfortably and confidently hold her in one arm, and I remember slinging her up into my right arm right away, and then remembering that babies like to be held over your heart. So I switched sides. Saby was nearby but not there, and I was looking to find him so he could announce her name to everyone there. Standing along the windows were lots of relatives, but namely all my aunts and cousins from Michigan. (they come in my dreams alot, despite only seeing them about once a year!) One of them gave the baby a pacifier, and I threw it out and instead let her suck on the end of my pinky finger. (another random tidbit I had read, and then "remembered" in this dream) She was sucking on it with such amazing voracity that I thought she must be hungry. So, voila I whipped her up and started breast feeding! Even one handed, standing up. If only it's that easy when the time comes!

Somewhere now we all begin to see fire trucks and emergency crews on the other side of the river. Why? Apparently we've all been so involved celebrating the baby that we ignored a fire alarm, and now the fire crews down across the river are going to evacuate us using ladder trucks out the windows. I remembering feeling sad that in the first few hours of my baby's life I'd have to be carried down a ladder by firefighters (random!!!) and ran into the next room to get my sister's jacket, to wrap myself and baby in. When I came back, the scene changed a bit and we had already been evacuated. But I couldn't find my baby! Somebody had taken her down, and we didn't know who had her. I was yelling her name (shhhh, still a secret) and then realized that no one else even knew that it was her name.

Then I woke up.

I figure the beginning was all nice, but the end is your typical stress dream - late for class, can't find class, didn't attend class and there's an exam - type thing. Rather, can't find baby, didn't name baby. Whoops. So note to self, name kid once he/she makes their appearance, and listen for fire alarms.

No comments: