Holy Guacamole... we bought diapers. Well, I bought diapers.
Babies R Us sends out these coupons that you can use for a strange string of days that are far, far away from the date you receive them. Good marketing, Babies R Us... I've been coveting that coupon for almost a month now, pouring over our registry to determine what item would benefit the most from 15% off, making plans around the effective dates and discussing it all ad nauseum with Saby. Attached was another snazzy coupon for $10 off any "two" massive packs of diapers. Massive INDEED...
We now have the first 308 diapers of our baby's life sitting in our front room.
I haven't been getting many hours at work, and I think I'm starting to nest, so over the past few days I have stalked websites about diapers, checking reviews, prices, etc... seems people just rave over Papmpers Swaddlers because they're soft and don't leak. So I bought a 92 ct box of those, size newborn, and a massive 216 ct box of the next size up - 1 - so that our baby's precious waste will be swaddled in the softest sling available, up until 14 lbs.
I've been advised that the best diapers in the world are from Target, from Costco, from Huggies, and from Pampers. Oh, and Sam's Club. They're ALL the best... apparently. We will have to see what size/shape/poop-capacity our baby is in order to determine whose advice is true.
Yeah, diapers are expensive and I am aware that I'm going to be filling up my own landfill. But we are actually toying with the idea of using cloth diapers after a point, especially if we were to travel to India anytime during the infancy (or I guess anytime pre-potty training) of lil' Spampy. When Saby's sister brought her disposable diapered baby to India, my mother-in-law (bless her heart) had to dig a hole on the edge of their property and bury the diapers. No municipal garbage removal... no standardized disposal of trash. At least not in rural Kerala. Unless you wanna be looking at those diapers for the next 5 years, you gotta find a way to get rid of them yourself.
Cloth diapers are not a good scheme for a family not committed to the idea, with a brand new baby who poos and pees 6-8 times a day. Maybe after 7 months or something. (and did anyone ever tell you that good cloth diapers cost upwards of like $20 a piece?) But another consideration is that once a cloth diaper goes on, Saby's ability to change it will probably turn off. I do not foresee him scraping crap out of a cloth diaper, swishing it around in a toilet, and then throwing it in a bin to wait to be washed. How this will actually go: Saby with diaper in one hand, bare-butted baby in the other, baby peeing freely in the wind, Saby throwing up in a bin.
Anyway, for better or for worse we have now what seems like a massive quantity of diapers... I'm sure in a few months we will look back and laugh at how negligible the number 308 really is in the grand scheme of things. We did crack open the newborn size box and took out one diaper, in order to see how small they really are.
They really ARE small. And they smell like heaven. Ooooogie boogie little diapers going around little baby bums and legs... softy sweetie smells like powder delicious diapers, cootchie cootchie cooooooo...
until they fill with caca.
No comments:
Post a Comment