Ahhh, I found my loophole, my chance to take advantage of the system. Not even my midwives knew that pregnant ladies can apply for a handicapped parking pass, at least temporarily. How did *I* know that? Thanks to Windo, who's sister would probably fall into the category of having milked her pregnancies for all they were worth. Ha! Well, thanks to her...
I said to my midwife Margie, "is there any truth to the rumor that I could get a handicapped tag?" She looked at me like I was nutty (which is the pot calling the kettle black, seriously... read on) and I affirmed that a "friend in Michigan" had done it. Recognizing how there are actually a lot of differences between how Michigan and Ohio run, she said she'd try... and wrote me a prescription for a pass, ending two weeks after my estimated due date. When I arrived at the friendly Beavercreek Bureau of Motor Vehicles, they were all set to hook me up. As I peered over the high counter at my friendly clerk Maryann, I watched her eyes look over the paperwork and then heard her mouth mutter, "2002?" Ignore... ignore! Curiosity got the best of me and I asked, "2002 what?" The script had been written to last until "August 4, 2002." Two-thousand-TWO??? Margie is a very sweet, wonderful woman, and I'm very comfortable with the idea of squeezing out my little cantaloupe in her presence, but sometimes I wonder if she has Skittles for brains.
Well, all's well that ends well. Made some phone calls the following day and had them fax over a new script. One check for $3.50 later, and I was walking about 25 steps into Target to buy ice cream, almonds, and a pool noodle. Good times! Normally I park way out to prevent any denting of the new car... now I can park way IN. Hallelujah!
1 comment:
I don't know if you remember, but Farmer Jack used to have a few "expectant mothers' parking" spaces next to the handicapped spaces. They were almost always empty, and the signs weren't as bright. Needless to say, a few times I accidentally pulled into one, not seeing the sign, and inducing a near panic attack in Matt. These days it would be a jump for joy from him.
Post a Comment