Monday, March 3, 2008

eBay Baby and the Belly

Well, our package arrived and last night we spent a few minutes with headphones on, pushing that "gently used" Bebe Sounds listening thingey into my belly and clicking. The device itself looks like a combination of a giant computer mouse and the baby monitor they use in the movie "Signs" to hear the aliens. Aptly, that's what we would do - hold, click, and hear aliens. So far we're not sure what all they're saying.

There is a gush-gush-gush sound that is probably my placenta, as it's much louder on one side than the other, and then aways off in the distance you can hear my heart beat. As for whether we can hear baby, we're going to wait and try again under less rushed circumstances. The instructions advise above all being patient, while a quiet room, 4 hours since last meal, and being at least 5+ months along are it's other suggestions for optimal baby hearing goodness.

But as far as indicators of baby's health and all, the new snowplow of a belly I'm beginning to push out in front of me says all is well. Today I'm at 20 weeks and 2 or 3 days, and it's either a compliment to how I've been dressing myself or it's a baby & uterine growth spurt, because the staff of Motherhood has collectively been amazed at my sudden baby bumpiness. Yesterday I wore a sweater over another tighter, sheer white sweater... and once we were preparing to close, I took the bulkier one off. Coworker Linda's eyes about popped out of her head. "Loooooook at you!" She then laughed and told me, while making me promise to tell my husband she had noticed, that "your boobs are jigglier too."

So for comparative goodness, I shall put together a Statistical Goodness and see where this belly actually is, size-wise. Tomorrow is our 20-week ultrasound. Smile and wave, Spampy... I wonder if s/he'll be a thumb-sucker like his/her mom was for so long?

No comments: