Monday, August 16, 2010

Contentment

We've had days, possibly weeks now, worth of "heat advisory" temperatures... mid-to-high nineties, with pretty disgustingly high humidity.  The heat index rivaled that of Dubai the other day, with it feeling like 108. Here. In the lil' old Miami Valley, Dayton, Ohio.  

Today I found Elena's snowsuit for this winter and in honor of these heat advisories, I washed it. I felt a bit witchy while dumping the unseasonably large, fluffy pink thing into a gentle cold cycle, willing it to bring some gently colder temperatures.

And then I wondered how far into winter 2010/2011 we would have to get before I was pulling her bathing suits out, wishing for warmth and sunshine.

Which then made me google search "contentment".

Which then led me to this.

Let me paraphrase for those of you who don't click links, or who may be turned off by the Christianity factor.
Contentment is not something that comes naturally. Naturally, we are prone to,

* compare ourselves with others
* to always want more than we have (remember Adam and Eve?)
* to interpret someone else's good fortune as coming at our expense
* to complain

Contentment is not natural. It is something that we must learn over time. You don't just wake up content.

I think tomorrow I will try and wake up content.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

this was good for me to read. you are good for me. thank you. :)